Monday, September 17, 2012

Birthday Party Madness?

I should start at the end, that's how all the really good movies start.
This is my NOW five year old, absolutely zonked out on the couch after a morning full of birthday party fun. Seconds after taking this picture I looked exactly the same, minus the Tinker Bell!

It was a great day after months of planning, making gift bags. . .okay, trying really hard to be crafty, picking the menu, theme and all that party stuff that can drive a usually sane person to the edge!

For Lu's "theme" we went with Favorite Things at her favorite place, Tampa Creative Camps.  We stopped short at giving everyone a My Little Pony and a Disney cruise! Though  I agree with Lulu, it would be very, very nice.

I pictured these looking very different!



Instead we opted for face painting, a bounce house, ballon art, freeze dance, dress-up and "rock star;" topped off with a visit from an ice cream truck! Whoosh!  After a couple of days of rest, I've been thinking about how crazy birthday parties have become--how crazy I have become about them.  I've already started to plan her next one!

So when did this all happen? I plan events as part of my job, so it could be an occupational hazard; but this phenomenon goes well beyond me.  It seems to strike unsuspecting mothers of all ages, makes and creeds. When it comes to our kids, we might go a little overboard.  One could just point to the explosion of children's party planners and websites geared toward haute swag as an example.

Okay, the popsicle truck may have
been for Mom!
When I was little I grew up with at home birthday parties. I had friends over, games, cake and a clown! The clown was a big deal apparently and the kids loved it-- I hated clowns! Looking at all the old pictures I have a look of sheer terror on my face in ever single shot.  I think that clown came to my party for two or three years! Either my parents wanted to give me nightmares, or they were doing exactly what some of us (me!) do 40 years later; create birthday parties we wished we had when we were kids, instead of listening to our kids.  Please don't get me wrong I don't think it's intentional or that we even realize we're doing it. We just get caught up in this continuous  flow of nonstop birthday parties, Pineterest, and TLC design shows--who has the will power to resist?!

At the end of the day, I think Lulu had a great day that she will remember. Would she have had as much fun with a couple of her girlfriends, a cake and painting her fingernails? Probably. Would I have less grey hair and the money to cover them? Definitely!


No comments:

Post a Comment