Friday, August 24, 2012

My Other Girl

 
Super Lulu and her crime fighting side-kick, Foster

Even before I had a two-legged kid, I was the proud “mom” of four-legged, fur kids.  Yes, I am one of THOSE people.  As difficult as that may be for some folks to understand (I know it is for my mom), I just love dogs!  To me dogs’ have the characteristics I wish to have one day. 
For years, I volunteered with a breed rescue group, a shelter and a community animal welfare organization. I even worked at a shelter.   I saw the best of the best and the absolute worst of people. You might be familiar with that quote from Gandhi:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” I am not really sure where Tampa would be on the scale.  Honestly, I try to block out of my mind those years spent in the shelter. But, I have four constant reminders at home of the decade I spent volunteering. 

 

 Last night, I came home from work and my girl “Foster” was a mess.  I won’t go into detail, because it was gross—but I will say we rushed to the vet: a panicked Mom (me), an 80 pound dog that couldn’t walk, and a terrified (almost) five year old.  What a sight it must have been for the neighbors!

The life of a dog in our house! 

Through all the prodding, poking, shots, vomiting—my girl, STILL wagged her tail.  Now if she was human, would that happen? I can tell you, not if it was me!  

 

When I finally got a chance to sit down with Foster, she put one very tired head in my lap, either looking for comfort, or to give me comfort, (knowing her, the latter)  it reminded me of a dog I met years ago, despite my best attempts to forget him.   

 

He was a Harlequin, Great Dane.  When I first saw him, it actually took my breath away and I just started crying.  There was no other reaction to have (except anger—which was my only emotion during the 90's).  You could see every (and I mean every) bone in his body.  Only his head remained somewhat normal.   I sat down, to make myself as small as possible, so I wouldn’t make him nervous.  He came over immediately and put his gigantic head in my lap and again, I just lost it!  After all he had suffered at the hands of humans, he trusted me. . .or was it, he wanted to comfort me? I know there is a danger to applying human feelings to animals, but they most certainly are aware of our emotions. 

 


St. Francis, Patron Saint of Animals


Pets add an intrinsic value to our lives and to our physical and emotional health. They instinctually seem to want to help us. Like the pets that save their families from fires; the k-9 units that protect their officers; the bomb sniffing dogs in Afghanistan and Iraq, that they now realize also suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder; sheep and cattle dogs that help our ranchers; therapy dogs and cats brought into hospitals, schools and nursing homes. . .

 

I know there are many different kinds of pets and different kinds of “jobs” making an impact on people everywhere. For me though, it’s all about dogs and their unbelievable trust, loyalty, tolerance and unconditional love.   I have another favorite quote: “Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.” 

 

Can you imagine what the world would look like if we loved as unconditionally as our dogs? That is what we are each called to do but often a struggle, for me at least.  Today I will try harder!

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment