Thursday, August 2, 2012

Kindergarten or the End Times?

Why preparing for the first day of school seems like preparing for the apocalypse.  Well, the truth is I haven't really prepared for either but I am going on a hunch formulated after a summer of looking at blogs and articles related to all things kindergarten. Please bear with me as I explain:


1) Research what supplies will be needed.
This could go either way--End Times or Circle Time!

2) Prepare your list before you hit the stores! 
Have you seen a supply list for school kids recently? Seriously, short of a water filtration kit, it looks like a prepper's  list for a family of five! I remember when I was in school I had five notebooks, a pencil box and a Trapper Keeper (now that is bringing it old school!).  Last year when the kiddo was in EC-4, she actually had to bring paper plates at the beginning of the year!! Whaaaat?!

Photo  from Prepared LDS Family Blog
3) Prepare a 72-hour emergency kit for your child.
This "tip" just made me sad and wonder if it was really time to talk to the kiddo about emergencies (I'll wait till she's six to tell her about terrorist, nuclear threats, climate change, pandemics, Planet X. . . .). The whole idea something could happen and I couldn't get to her and she would have to fend for herself in a post-apocalyptic society formed on juice boxes and fruit roll-ups gives me goose bumps!


Lu and her buddy from her "old school." She has
grown up so much this summer!

Maybe I am a bad mom, but I'm just not ready for emergency kits; let alone the fact I may be implanting the idea in Lu's head that each day she heads off to school may be the last time she sees her family.  Holy panic attack!

But honestly, I am not sure I am even ready for the litany of play dates, orientation, welcome back events and everything else that comes with starting school. . .and my baby growing up!

How are you getting your kids ready for school? Do you have any family traditions you do before starting a new school year? Is this your child’s first year in “real” school? Share your thoughts on ways to start the new year on a positive note. 

1 comment:

  1. End of times or circle time? Danielle you crack me up!!

    The abstract idea of sending Justice to kindergarten scares the crap out me but emergency kits is almost enough for me to get tips from Kati on homeschooling.

    We have to trust God and pray our kids (and ourselves) through this. I'm adding you and Lulu to my prayer list along with all the others families getting ready to embark on this exciting and scary journey.

    Love Jenn

    ReplyDelete